I was in the mood to eat healthy, but not in the mood to stand by the stove and cook last night. I remember getting an e-mail from Self Magazine regarding their recipe of the week and it looked delicious. I had most of the ingredients on hand and improvised with what I did not. The meal turned out very delicious and super easy to make. The recipe calls for tortillas, salsa, etc. to make real fajitas, but I just ate the chicken and veggies to make it even more healthy. Enjoy!
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained (only had italian stlye tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas (8 inches each)
- 4 tablespoons salsa, divided
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 tsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Heat oven to 400°. In a bowl, toss chicken with garlic, juice, 1 tsp oil, chili powder and cumin; marinate 20 minutes.
Coat a rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray; add chicken with marinade, onion, bell peppers, tomatoes with chiles, salt, black pepper and remaining 1 tsp oil; toss to combine. Roast, stirring once, until chicken is cooked through, 20 minutes. (I stopped at this point and just had chicken & veggies)
Wrap tortillas in foil; heat in oven during last 10 minutes of roasting time. Stir 2 tbsp salsa and 2 tbsp cilantro into chicken mixture; divide evenly among tortillas, along with remaining 2 tbsp salsa, yogurt and remaining 1 tbsp cilantro. Garnish with radish slices and lime wedges, if desired.