Now that I am on the mend I am trying to eat healthy, but those warm comfort foods are still calling my name. I found this great recipe on EatingWell’s website. All I did was search for one pot meals and found a Spanish chicken dish and if you know me at all yo know that I can not resist anything that has to do with Spain. This recipe takes a couple of hours to cook, but the wait was worth it. I had Will and his friend (Jeremy) eat it and both gave two thumbs up and left me with barley any left overs. The calorie count and other information is on their recipe attached to the link below. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces linguisa (Portuguese-style sausage) or Spanish-style chorizo, diced (Buy already cooked, dried chorizo. I only found Italian and added red pepper flakes for spice)
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Pimentón de la Vera (see Note)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups white wine
- 4 cups diced seeded tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads (look for saffron in international aisle for cheaper versions)
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges begin to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is quite soft.
Sprinkle Pimentón de la Vera over the onion mixture; stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add wine and increase heat to high; cook until the wine is reduced by about a third, about 8 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, broth, parsley and saffron; reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is tender and the sauce is beginning to thicken, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Season with more pepper, if desired.