I love a good breakfast Quiche but I never feel like taking a couple of hours out of my morning to cook it. Here is, what looks like, a fabulous overnight casserole and I am excited to try it soon.
* recipe can be found at Our Best Bites
- 6-8 slices white bread
- about 1/4 cup softened butter (just for buttering the bread slices)
- 4 cups grated Colby Jack cheese (DO NOT buy pre-shedded cheese & you can use 2 cup cheddar and 2 cups pepper jack for more of a kick)
- 12 oz pork sausage, browned and drained if necessary
- 4 oz can green chiles, (or a 7 oz can if you want more)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
Remove crusts from bread and lightly butter one side. Place bread butter side down in a 9×13 baking dish. (The dish usually needs 6 pieces of bread, plus 1 cut in half to finish up the bottom row. You just want the bottom of the pan covered with no big gaps)
Grate your cheese and sprinkle it evenly over the top of the bread. Spread the browned sausage on top of that, and top with the green chiles.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add milk and then seasonings and whisk to combine well. Slowly stir the egg mixture while you pour it evenly on top of the assembled casserole. (You’ll want to keep stirring or else the spices will all gather in one spot and drop onto one single piece of casserole).
Cover well and place in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning preheat your oven to 350º. Pop the casserole in there and bake for 50-60 minutes. You’ll want the center to be set and the outside edges to be golden brown.